Page 158 - 2023-24 By-Laws
P. 158
History of IHSAA
High School Athletics” in October, 1929, by the Legislative Body, and the Commissioner was
granted the powers and duties belonging to a Commissioner of Athletics. Mr. Trester continued
to serve as Commissioner until the date of his death, September 18, 1944. The Board of Control
designated Superintendent Morris E. McCarty of Lafayette to serve as Acting Commissioner.
In December, 1944, Principal L.V. Phillips of Vincennes was chosen Commissioner to take
office January 1, 1945. In 1944, the Board of Control was given authority to employ an As-
sistant Commissioner. Robert S. Hinshaw, Director of Athletics at Rushville High School, was
chosen in November, 1945, to take office December 10, 1945 to become the first Assistant
Commissioner of Athletics for the IHSAA. In July, 1961, Herman F. Keller of Evansville Bosse
High School became the second Assistant Commissioner of Athletics after the death of Mr.
Hinshaw. On the retirement of L.V. Phillips, July 31, 1962, the Board of Control selected Phil
N. Eskew, Superintendent, Huntington Public Schools, as the third Commissioner of Athlet-
ics. The Board conferred the title of “Honorary Commissioner” on L.V. Phillips. On August
1, 1969, Ward E. Brown, Principal of Crawfordsville High School, was selected as Assistant
Commissioner to work with Mr. Eskew and Mr. Keller, and on January 1, 1972, Miss Patricia
L. Roy of East Gary was selected as Director of Girls Athletics for the Association. Mr. Keller
retired as Assistant Commissioner on August 1, 1973 and was succeeded by Charles F. Maas,
Athletic Director from Arlington High School, Indianapolis. On July 1, 1974, Miss Sue Parrish
of Yorktown became the first Assistant Director of Girls Athletics.
Due to the additional Association sponsored sports and the need for more space, the
Board of Directors purchased 2.57 acres of land just northwest of 91st and Meridian Streets
on August 6, 1975 for the purpose of building the new IHSAA Headquarters. Groundbreaking
ceremonies for the 20,000 square foot office building were held April 6, 1976 and the date of
occupancy was April 4 and 5, 1977. A formal building dedication and open house was held
on Sunday, October 16, 1977 with approximately 500 people in attendance.
On April 26, 1976, the IHSAA was incorporated. Certain corporate laws necessitated
limiting the length of staggered terms of elected representatives to three years. Renaming of
the Athletic Council as Board of Directors and renaming the Board of Control as Executive
Committee followed, along with changing the school classifications from five to three, reducing
the number of members on the Board of Directors from 25 to 15 and increasing the number
of members on the Executive Committee from 5 to 10.
Phil N. Eskew retired on June 30, 1976 and effective July 1, 1976, Ward E. Brown, As-
sistant Commissioner, became the fourth Commissioner; the title of “Commissioner Emeritus”
was bestowed upon Phil N. Eskew; and C. Eugene Cato, former Superintendent, Jay County
Schools, became Assistant Commissioner.
Mildred M. Ball of East Chicago Washington High School was appointed Assistant Com-
missioner to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of Assistant Director of Girls Athletics
Sue Parrish. Titles of Director and Assistant Director of Girls Athletics were officially changed
to Assistant Commissioner effective July 1, 1977.
Ward E. Brown retired as Commissioner on June 30, 1983 and effective July 1, 1983, C.
Eugene Cato, Assistant Commissioner, became the fifth Commissioner. Ray Craft, former
Principal of Shelbyville High School, became the new Assistant Commissioner on July 1, 1983.
On November 18, 1983, the Executive Committee approved employing a Sports Information
Director to assist in communications with the news media. Bob Williams, former sportswriter for
the Indianapolis Star, was appointed to fill this position and began his duties on July 1, 1984.
Charles F. Maas, Assistant Commissioner since August 1, 1973, passed away after a long
illness on November 27, 1984. Robert B. Gardner, former Principal of Milan High School, was
selected to fill this vacancy and began his duties on February 18, 1985.
On November 13, 1992, the Board of Directors voted to add a minority seat/s to the Board
of Directors and Executive Committee. This By-Law amendment commences with the De-
cember, 1993 election. The minority seats shall be filled by a minority from each of the three
classes, with selections rotated through each of the five districts thus increasing the Board of
Directors from 15 to 18 members and the Executive Committee from 10 to 12 members when
the rotation is completed in 1997.
Bob Williams retired as the first Sports Information Director on June 30, 1994. Jim Rus-
145